Following the upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, the Media Feature Pack has also been released by Microsoft for computers running on both N and KN versions of Windows 8.1. This Media Feature Pack will install Windows Media Player and various other Media-related software and applications on your Windows 8.1 systems. The Windows 8.1 N and KN editions do not include Windows Media Player and other Windows Media-related technologies, such as Windows Media Center, Windows DVD Maker, etc.
Media Feature Pack for Windows 8.1 N & Windows 8.1 KN
Both N & KN versions possess similar functionalities as Windows 8.1, except that all media-related software like the Windows Media Player and certain applications like Music, Sound Recorder, Video, Skype, etc. come pre-installed with Windows 8.1. But there is no need to worry because the users of N & KN versions can download the Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 8.1, which will enable all the technologies which are originally excluded. Following are some of the apps/technologies/features which have been left out:
- All Windows Media Player features like playing media files, audio CDs, creating a playlist album art, creating an audio CD, etc. It also excludes Windows Media Player Active X control
- The Windows Media Format which supports the Windows Media video and audio codecs, the ability to manage Windows Media digital rights, which ensure the safe transfer of protected content for playback.
- Any kind of Media sharing through a Computer Network, including Music, pictures, and video sharing.
- Media Foundation, which is responsible for content protection, video, and audio quality and managing the digital rights (DRM).
- The Infrastructure for Windows 8.1 Portable Devices, through which media and storage devices communicate with each other, inclusive of those which support the Media Transfer Protocol.
- Audio codecs which enable playing audio formats like WMA, MP3, AAC Audio, MPEG-2 and AC-3 audio.
- The standards-based codecs such as MPEG-4, VC-1 and H. 264 codecs which support in playback and creation of multimedia files
- The Music and Video app which enables playback of digital music and video.
- An app to record sounds called the Sound Recorder
- An app to message and communicate online called Skype.
Apart from the above, there are several features which are disrupted due to the absence of the Media Pack in the N & KN versions. You can get the detailed information at KB2835517.
Download the Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 8.1 here.