Microsoft now has a dedicated page where they will provide information about new features and non-security updates. In the latest update, there are new sixteen policies that have been added to Microsoft Edge Stable Channel. IT admins or Admin users can manually download Group Policy settings for Edge (Chromium) and merge them with existing policies.
New Group Policy settings Microsoft Edge available
To download the updated Administrative Templates, you will have to go to the Microsoft Edge Enterprise landing page. There you can select the channel or build, platform, and click on Get Policy Files link. The link is next to the download button, which will download the Edge browser. Make sure to click on the link next to it to download Group Policy Settings Edge.
It will download a CAB file that needs to extract in the policy folder or Copy the msedge.admx file to the PolicyDefinition folder.
Or you can use the Group Policy Editor to import the Microsoft Edge templates.
Here is the list of new sixteen policies available for Stable Version 80
- AlternateErrorPagesEnabled – Suggest similar pages when a webpage can’t be found.
- DefaultInsecureContentSetting – Control use of insecure content exceptions.
- DNSInterceptionChecksEnabled – DNS interception checks enabled.
- HideFirstRunExperience – Hide the First-run experience and splash screen.
- InsecureContentAllowedForUrls – Allow insecure content on specified sites.
- InsecureContentBlockedForUrls – Block insecure content on specified sites.
- LegacySameSiteCookieBehaviorEnabled – Enable default legacy SameSite cookie behavior setting.
- LegacySameSiteCookieBehaviorEnabledForDomainList – Revert to legacy SameSite behavior for cookies on specified sites.
- PaymentMethodQueryEnabled – Allow websites to query for available payment methods.
- PersonalizationReportingEnabled – Allow personalization of ads, search, and news by sending browsing history to Microsoft.
- PinningWizardAllowed – Allow Pin to taskbar wizard.
- SmartScreenPuaEnabled – Configure Microsoft Defender SmartScreen to block potentially unwanted apps.
- TotalMemoryLimitMb – Set limit on megabytes of memory a single Microsoft Edge instance can use.
- WebAppInstallForceList – Configure a list of force-installed Web Apps.
- WebComponentsV0Enabled – Re-enable Web Components v0 API until M84.
- WebRtcLocalIpsAllowedUrls – Manage exposure of local IP addresses by WebRTC.
Some of these policies are very interesting
- DNSInterceptionChecksEnabled: It can be used to disable DNS interception checks. These checks attempt to discover whether the browser is behind a proxy that redirects unknown hostnames.
- DefaultInsecureContentSetting: Allows users to set whether users can add exceptions to allow mixed content for specific sites. If you have sites that serve both secure and insecure content, then you can enable it.
Edge team has also deprecated the NewTabPageCompanyLogo, which allowed IT to set a new tab page company logo. They have also resolved two issues. One resolved no audio issue with the Citrix environment. Second where Microsoft Edge and legacy Microsoft Edge side by side experience results in broken legacy links and crashes.