If you are a Microsoft’s homegrown security tool Microsoft Defender user, then you can now easily get reports about the performance of this tool. Microsoft has come up with a dedicated page that talks about Microsoft Defender’s performance among various industry tests conducted by 3rd party Security Research firms.
Microsoft Defender ATP Performance scores
The page summarizes the results and provides analysis. The announcement made on Twitter by Microsoft Security Intelligence, reads,
We added the latest AV-TEST results to this page, which summarizes Microsoft Defender ATP’s scores in key independent tests. We regularly update this page with resources, including our analysis, where we add insights, lessons, and context to test result.
Current highlights from the page
Microsoft is among the first EDR vendors to sign up for the MITRE evaluation based on the ATT&CK framework, widely regarded today as the most comprehensive catalog of attacker techniques and tactics.
Leveraging machine learning, artificial intelligence, behavioral analysis, and other advanced technologies, Windows Defender Antivirus is now a part of the next generation Microsoft Defender ATP security stack which addresses the latest and most sophisticated threats today. In some cases, customers might not even know they were protected because a cyber attack is stopped milliseconds after a campaign starts, says Microsoft.
AV-Test Results – The recent AV-Test results rates Microsoft Defender 6.0/6.0 on three categories: protection, performance, and usability. Protection category scores for last the few months are as follows,
- March – April 2019 AV-TEST Business User test: Protection score 6.0/6.0
- January – February 2019 AV-TEST Business User test: Protection score 6.0/6.0
- November – December 2018 AV-TEST Business User test: Protection score 6.0/6.0
- September – October 2018 AV-TEST Business User test: Protection score 6.0/6.0
- July – August 2018 AV-TEST Business User test: Protection score 6.0/6.0
- May – June 2018 AV-TEST Business User test: Protection score 6.0/6.0
AV-Comparatives Results – AV-Comparatives, the organization that provides ratings for PC/Mac-based antivirus products and mobile security solutions rates Microsoft Defender 99.7% in its latest test. The breakup include,
- Real-World Protection Test Enterprise March – April 2019: Protection Rate 99.7%
- Real-World Protection Test Enterprise August – November 2018: Protection Rate 99.6%
- Malware Protection Test Enterprise August 2018: Protection Rate 99.9%
- Real-World Protection Test Enterprise March – June 2018: Protection Rate 98.7%
SE Labs Rating – SE Labs which specializes in testing a range of solutions used by products and services to detect and/or protect against attacks, including endpoint software, network appliances, and cloud services gives Defender AAA rating in its latest test. The evaluation is based on the following trends,
- Enterprise Endpoint Protection October – December 2018: AAA award
- Enterprise Endpoint Protection July – September 2018: AAA award
- Enterprise Endpoint Protection April – June 2018: AAA award
For the latest developments on Microsoft Defender, you can visit the Microsoft docs site.