Microsoft has announced the release of Silverlight 5. Silverlight is a powerful development tool for creating engaging, interactive user experiences for Web and mobile applications
Silverlight 5 includes the following new features:
- Hardware Decode of H.264 media, which provides a significant performance improvement
- Postscript Vector Printing to improve output quality and file size
- Improved graphics stack with 3D support
- Extends the ‘Trusted Application’ model to the browser for the first time
Silverlight 5 will support the browser versions listed below in the system requirements matrix through 10/12/2021, or though the support lifecycle of the underlying browsers, whichever is shorter, reports The Silverlight Blog.
Download Silverlight 5.
You can download the Silverlight 5 Tools for Visual Studio 2010 SP1 here. This download will install all components necessary for Silverlight 5 and WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP2 development:
- Silverlight 5 SDK (software development kit)
- Silverlight 5 Developer Runtime
- Update for Visual Studio 2010 Service Pack 1 and Visual Web Developer Express 2010 Service Pack 1 (KB2502836)
- Microsoft WCF RIA Services V1.0 SP2.