The Raspberry Pi Foundation recently announced the Raspberry Pi 4. It is a significant upgrade over the last major release of Raspberry Pi which was Raspberry Pi 3. The most hyped feature for Raspberry Pi 4 is the support for dual 4k displays. For those who are not aware, Raspberry Pi boards are great to build IoT based solutions and projects. It is a cheap kit which holds enough power to build almost any sorts of solution.
Raspberry Pi 4 available starting $35
The device is powerful enough to play 4k videos and power two 4k displays simultaneously. This comes in as a boon for multitaskers. The following are some of the highlighting technical specifications of Raspberry Pi 4:
- Broadcom BCM2711, Quad-core Cortex-A72 (ARM v8) 64-bit SoC @ 1.5GHz
- 1GB, 2GB or 4GB LPDDR4-2400 SDRAM (depending on model)
- 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz IEEE 802.11ac wireless, Bluetooth 5.0, BLE
- Gigabit Ethernet
- 2 USB 3.0 ports; 2 USB 2.0 ports.
- Raspberry Pi standard 40 pin GPIO header (fully backwards compatible with previous boards)
- 2 × micro-HDMI ports (up to 4kp60 supported)
- 2-lane MIPI DSI display port
- 2-lane MIPI CSI camera port
- 4-pole stereo audio and composite video port
- H.265 (4kp60 decode), H264 (1080p60 decode, 1080p30 encode)
- OpenGL ES 3.0 graphics
- Micro-SD card slot for loading operating system and data storage
- 5V DC via USB-C connector (minimum 3A)
- 5V DC via GPIO header (minimum 3A)
- Power over Ethernet (PoE) enabled (requires separate PoE HAT)
- Operating temperature: 0 – 50 degrees C ambient
It is worth noting that if downstream USB peripherals consume less than 500mA in total, a good quality 2.5A power supply can be used.
Like the previous iterations, it comes out of the box with NOOBS (New Out Of Box Software) operating system. However, you can install Windows 10 IoT Core on it to build your custom solution using Microsoft services and APIs.
The base model with 1 Gigabyte of RAM starts at $35 with the 2 Gigabytes and 4 Gigabytes variants being slightly more expensive.
You can learn more about this module on their official website here.