The Safer Internet Day (SID) is organized by Insafe in February of each year to promote safer and more responsible use of online technology and mobile phones, especially amongst children and young people across the world. This year too, the Safer Internet Day 2013 is being celebrated.
Safer Internet Day 2013 will be the tenth edition of the event, and will take place on 5th February 2013. The theme of Safer Internet Day 2013 is “Online Rights and Responsibilities” and users around the world are encouraged to “Connect with respect”. When browsing on the Internet, don’t take anything for granted and be alert always!
What does Connect with respect mean?
- Review privacy policies and settings
- Consider what personal information shouldn’t be shared
- Manage location information shared through mobile devices and social media
- Only say things online which you’d be happy to say offline
- Minimize sharing personal information with people online who you don’t know well offline
- Respect other people’s trust and privacy and not using technology to harm and embarrass them
- Think before you post
- Remember, once something goes online, it stays online
- Find out what your digital shadow looks like and work to make it a positive one
You can find more about SID 2013 from following video:
If you have ideas for SID 2013, or would like to convene a SID Committee or organize a SID activity in your own country, you can submit them. Contact the SID 2013 event authorities or if you’d like resources, such as banners, logos and QR codes to support your own campaign, from the SID 2013 page.