Microsoft has made available Windows 10 2004 ISO on MSDN. The site my.visualstudio.com is a central place where Microsoft hosts all documents related to the OS and is necessary for developers, testers, and hardware developers. Microsoft keeps changing its API, and everything must work as expected.
Windows 10 version 2004 is now available on MSDN
Microsoft has followers this approach for a very long time. The first copy goes to OEMs for hardware compatibility, followed by developers, and finally to mainstream users. The list includes ISO files are:
- Windows 10 Ver. 2004 Consumer and Business
- Windows 10 IoT Enterprise, Ver.2004
- Windows Server, Ver. 2004
- Developer Tools Ver. 2004
- ISOs are available in 38 languages
This version of Windows 10 brings in a huge improvement when it comes to Start Menu, Linux (WSL) 2 support to the OS, and Windows Search experience, especially the later. The impact on hardware is less compared to an earlier version.
If you have access to MSDN, you can right away download and install it fresh on the computer, but if you want to upgrade, you need to either wait for the update or use Windows Insider Release Preview. The list of new features include:
- Cortana App & Skills
- Windows Search improvements
- Improved disk usage for Windows Search
- Task manager: GPU Temperature and Storage Type
- Monitors with different refresh rates
- Windows Subsystem for Linux / WSL (2) improvements
- Enabling automatic restart for UWP apps
- New Tablet experience for 2-in-1 convertible PCs
- Reset PC from the cloud (Download or Local)
- Notepad Improvements
That said, consumers may have to wait for some time to get the update automatically as OEMs will have to make sure their hardware is compatible, and submit to Microsoft for approval. It could take as long as two weeks for the rollout to complete.
We have tested the v2004 using the Windows 10 Insider, and it is incredibly stable. It looks like Microsoft has finally been able to deliver an update without major hiccups, but let’s keep out fingers crossed.